REP LIEU STATEMENT ON PASSAGE OF SHIELD ACT
WASHINGTON – Today, Congressman Ted W. Lieu (D-Los Angeles County) issued the following statement after the House passed the SHIELD Act (Stopping Harmful Interference in Elections for A Lasting Democracy Act). This comprehensive legislation will strengthen the resilience of our democracy and protect against foreign interference in America’s elections, including by foreign governments.
“When Democrats won the majority, we promised the American people we would do everything in our power to protect our elections from another attack by foreign adversaries. Today, House Democrats kept that promise by passing the Shield Act, which protects our democratic process from foreign intervention and holds individuals engaged in attacking our elections accountable by law. In 2016 our elections were attacked by foreign actors and now they’re setting their sights on 2020. Majority Leader McConnell should take this bill up in the Senate immediately and join the House Democrats in protecting our national security before it’s too late.”
About the SHIELD Act:
The SHIELD Act takes critical steps to protect our elections and our democracy:
- Creates a duty to report illicit offers of campaign assistance from foreign governments and their agents.
- Helps prevent foreign interference in future elections by improving transparency of online political advertisements.
- Closes loopholes that allow foreign nationals and foreign governments to spend in U.S. elections.
- Restricts exchange of campaign information between candidates and foreign governments and their agents.
- Prohibits deceptive practices about voting procedures.