Youth Advisory Council
Congressman Ted W. Lieu (D-Los Angeles County) started California's 33rd Congressional District’s inaugural Youth Advisory Council (YAC) in early 2018. YAC students will meet with a diverse group of peers from their community to discuss issues of importance and consider ways of getting involved locally. The YAC will work directly with staff in Rep. Lieu’s office to collaborate on key issues for young people in California’s 33rd District. Students in 9th through 12th grade that live or attend school in the district are eligible to apply.
Rep. Lieu: “Our district is full of passionate young people who have already dedicated themselves to helping their community and advocating for a better future. Our Youth Advisory Council provides an excellent opportunity for students to talk about issues that matter to them with my Congressional office and find ways to channel their passion into action. I’m looking forward to another great year with our Youth Advisory Council and I encourage all interested students to apply!”
The application period for the 2021-2022 Youth Advisory Council is now closed. The application deadline was Friday, July 9th at 5:00 PM.
- High school transcript or middle school transcript (if incoming freshman)
- Two letters of recommendation (from non-family members)
- One-page essay explaining why you wish to be a member of the Council
- Signed Consent Form
- Application Form
Please send all application materials in one email to Aurelia Friedman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- This will be a student-driven council.
- There will be 8 scheduled meetings with staff per year. Students will need to attend 6 of the 8 meetings to remain in good standing:
- August 26, 2021
- September 22, 2021
- October 27, 2021
- November 17, 2021
- January 26, 2022
- February 23, 2022
- March 23, 2022
- April 27, 2022
- Students will be appointed to a one-year term.
- If eligible, students can serve on the council for a maximum of two years.
- Freshmen in High School should submit 8th grade transcripts as well as a current progress report.
Please contact Aurelia Friedman at email@example.com or (323) 651-1040.