CONGRESSMAN LIEU STATEMENT ON PRESIDENT TRUMP’S EFFORT TO “MAKE AMERICA WEAKER”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WASHINGTON - Today, Congressman Ted W. Lieu (D | Los Angeles County) issued the following statement regarding President Trump’s actions on national security policy during his first week in office.
"If there was still any doubt as to whether President Donald Trump*** had the temperament and positions to lead America as our Commander-in-Chief, let his first week in office be our answer. As a Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee--and as an American--I am horrified at the behavior of the American President.”
“Trump has done silly, bizarre things that don't really matter, such as repeatedly lying to the American people about the crowd size at his relatively small inauguration. But he has also taken actions that deeply matter and harmed American interests, particularly in the area of foreign affairs. His go-it-alone approach is making America more isolated and increasing risks to our deployed personnel.”
- “Trump’s alternative-reality-based belief that Mexico will pay for his Wall of Hate has deeply antagonized our close ally and neighbor Mexico and caused the Mexican President to cancel his meeting with the American President.”
- “Trump’s wild and destabilizing statement that NATO is obsolete will further incentive Russian aggression and push our close European allies to start pulling away from the United States.”
- “Trump’s statement advocating for war crimes by stating we should steal Iraq’s oil not only offends a critical partner, but it puts American service members at risk by fostering the perception abroad that our forces are deployed to pillage local resources.”
- “Trump’s statement in his first TV interview as president supporting a return to torture policies is a dangerous recruiting tool for terrorists and again endangers our men and women in uniform.”
- “And now, in protest of Trump’s actions to undermine U.S. national security, the entire senior management team of the United States State Department has resigned en masse.”
“We tried a Shoot-First-Ask-Questions-Later foreign policy under George W. Bush. How did that work out? In less than one week in office, Trump has already made America Weaker. I pray his behavior will change or, alternatively, that rational and good people in his own party and his Administration start standing up to his crazy behavior and statements."
***In addition to losing the popular vote, Trump - as of January 20, 2017 - is in violation of the Emoluments Clause set forth in Article I, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution due to massive conflicts of interests and his refusal to put his global business holdings in blind trusts. Trump also benefitted from Vladimir Putin ordering a multifaceted and brazen Russian influence and cyber hacking campaign with the goals of undermining faith in the U.S. democratic process, denigrating Secretary Clinton’s electability, and helping Trump’s election chances. Trump and his press secretary also routinely make stuff up.