Congressman Lieu Advocating for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in Congress
As an immigrant from Taiwan, Congressman Ted Lieu serves as a strong advocate for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) in Congress. As a leadership board member of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC), Congressman Lieu is dedicated to promoting the well-being of the AAPI community. With his military background serving active duty in the United States Air Force and currently serving in the Reserves, Congressman Lieu chaired the CAPAC Veterans and Armed Services Task Force in the 114th Congress. Congressman Lieu serves as CAPAC's Whip for the 115th Congress.
- “Congressman Ted W. Lieu Statement on New PEW Study Projecting Asian Americans as Largest Immigration Group by 2055”
- “Congressman Ted Lieu Statement on Jeb Bush Comments Re: Asian immigrants”
- “Majority of Asian-American Lawmakers Condemn Vote to Halt Resettling Syrian Refugees” (NBC)
- "CAPAC Rebukes Republican Language to Describe Immigrants"
On the Targeting of Asian Pacific Americans and Federal Background Checks:
Congressman Lieu has met with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the members of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC) in order to highlight the importance of domestic and foreign policy issues impacting Asian Americans. He also has been working with CAPAC and the Oversight and Government Reform (OGR) committee to bring attention to Asian American and Pacific Islanders in regarding to racial targeting and profiling.
- VIDEO: Rep. Lieu Questions the Targetting of Asian Americans at the Oversight and Government Reform (OGR) Hearing
- “Congressman Lieu statement on today’s meeting with Hillary Clinton”
- "CAPAC and Wrongly Accused APIA Scientists Call for DOJ Accountability and End to Profiling" (Asian American Press)
- “Backed By California Democrats, Chinese American Scientists Arrested on Espionage Charges Demand Answers” (Los Angeles Times)
- “Members of Congress to Meet With Attorney General Over Scientists' Espionage Charges” (NBC News)
- “Rep. Lieu Wants to Know if Asian American Scientists Accused of Espionage were Targeted” (Los Angeles Times)
On Civil Rights:
- "Rep. Ted Lieu Applauds AAPI Civil Rights Language"
On Human Rights & Trafficking:
- "Filipino bakery workers win $15.2-M case against employers, awarded T visas" (Asian Journal)
- "Visas for elevan victims of human trafficking" (Fox Los Angeles)
- "Trafficked Pinoy bakery workers celebrate visa victory" (NBC News)
On Asian American Pacific American Heritage Month:
- VIDEO: "Rep. Lieu Celebrates May AAPI Heritage Month"