Congressman Lieu Advocating for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in Congress
As an immigrant from Taiwan, Congressman Ted Lieu serves as a strong advocate for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAPIs) in Congress. As a leadership board member of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC), Congressman Lieu is dedicated to promoting the well-being of the AAPI community. With his military background serving active duty in the United States Air Force and currently serving in the Reserves, Congressman Lieu chaired the CAPAC Veterans and Armed Services Task Force in the 114th Congress. Congressman Lieu has served as CAPAC's Whip in the 115th and 116th Congress. He is also a member of the Congressional-Executive Commission to China (CECC).
Targeting of Asian American and Pacific Islanders due to COVID-19:
Asian Americans are not responsible for the spread of coronavirus in the United States; yet, since the start of the pandemic, they have experienced continued harassment, violence, and discrimination. As of June 3, the Asian Pacific Policy and Planning Council reported 2,066 incidents of coronavirus-related discrimination. These and numerous news reports have documented cases ranging from the denial of services at stores to verbal harassment on the subway to physical assaults. Congressman Lieu is working with his colleagues in Congress to stop this xenophobic hate and is pushing back on President Trump's racist rhetoric of calling COVID-19 the "China Virus" and "Kung Flu."
- "Rep. Lieu leads 150 member letter urging DOJ to condemn COVID-related anti-Asian discrimination"
- "More than a quarter of Congress calls for action to stem Asian hate"
- "Asian Americans speak out after rise in hate crimes during coronavirus"
- "House passes resolution to denounce COVID-19 racism toward Asian Americans"
- "Ted Lieu: Trump is stoking xenophobic panic in a time of crisis"
- "Rep. Ted Lieu responds to being called an 'agent of China'"
- "CAPAC Leaders Condemn White House Use of “China Virus”"
- "Tri-Caucus Hosts Congressional Forum on Rise in Anti-Asian Bigotry During the COVID-19 Pandemic"
Targeting of Asian Pacific Americans and Federal Background Checks:
Congressman Lieu previously met with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the members of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC) in order to highlight the importance of domestic and foreign policy issues impacting Asian Americans. He worked with CAPAC and the Oversight and Government Reform (OGR) committee to bring attention to Asian American and Pacific Islanders in regard to racial targeting and profiling.
- "Rep. Lieu Questions the Targetting of Asian Americans at the Oversight and Government Reform (OGR) Hearing"
- “Congressman Lieu statement on meeting with Hillary Clinton”
- "CAPAC and Wrongly Accused APIA Scientists Call for DOJ Accountability and End to Profiling"
- “Backed By California Democrats, Chinese American Scientists Arrested on Espionage Charges Demand Answers”
- “Members of Congress to Meet With Attorney General Over Scientists' Espionage Charges”
- “Rep. Lieu Wants to Know if Asian American Scientists Accused of Espionage were Targeted”
Increasing Diversity and AAPI Representation:
- "Rep. Lieu highlights lack of diversity and AAPI representation at the State Department"
- "House Judiciary Committee holds hearing examining the lack of diversity in media with a focus on Hollywood"
- “Congressman Ted W. Lieu Statement on New PEW Study Projecting Asian Americans as Largest Immigration Group by 2055”
- “Congressman Ted Lieu Statement on Jeb Bush Comments Re: Asian immigrants”
- “Majority of Asian-American Lawmakers Condemn Vote to Halt Resettling Syrian Refugees”
- "CAPAC Rebukes Republican Language to Describe Immigrants"
On Civil Rights:
- "Rep. Ted Lieu Applauds AAPI Civil Rights Language"
On Human Rights & Trafficking:
- "Filipino bakery workers win $15.2-M case against employers, awarded T visas"
- "Visas for elevan victims of human trafficking"
- "Trafficked Pinoy bakery workers celebrate visa victory"